A survey conducted by background company GoodHire found that 85% of US workers prefer job listings with remote work options, leaving only 15% preferring full-time in-office work. Only 3% of employees and entrepreneurs surveyed https://remotemode.net/ said they want to work full time at a physical office when workplaces are able to safely reopen after Covid-19. The remaining 97% prefer some degree of flexibility between working remotely and working in an office.

remote work statistics

Because white and Asian workers are more likely to hold office jobs, they are more likely to have the opportunity to work remotely part or all of the time. Black and Hispanic workers, meanwhile, more frequently hold jobs in food service, construction, retail, health care and other fields that require them to be in person. A mere 13 percent of employed respondents say they could work remotely at least some of the time but opt not to. As many as 60% of companies now rely on such tools to track remote employees [12]. While these tools can aid productivity and accountability, they also pose privacy considerations, highlighting the need for transparency and consent in their use.

Now and in the Future

In the first half of 2021, the number of fully remote employees has been steadily decreasing while the number of on-site and hybrid employees has been increasing. As we navigate through the vaccination phase of the pandemic, some organizations are encouraging their employees to come back to the office. Understanding how to best serve remote and hybrid employees is necessary for not just their individual success, but for the overarching success of your organization. Remote work is no longer a niche opportunity some companies give, but a necessary way people work around the globe. As if the benefits in terms of productivity and work-life balance weren’t enough, remote workers can end up making more money than traditional workers. It’s important to mention that many remote workers do have roles that are high on the company hierarchy, which probably contributes to this statistic.

  • Legislation, such as the Right to Disconnect laws in some European countries, aims to set boundaries for remote work to safeguard employees’ personal time.
  • Respondents are asked how many hours they worked the previous week, and how many of those hours they teleworked or worked from home.
  • This hybrid style of work is becoming more and more popular as we transition from pre-pandemic work cultures.

Some employees have shifted back to the workplace, while others choose to remain remote or hybrid. The percentage of remote and hybrid employees is much larger than it was pre-pandemic—as of June 2021, 30 percent of employees considered themselves hybrid employees and 35 remote work statistics percent of employees reported working remotely. Remote work isn’t a new concept—some organizations offered this flexibility even before the pandemic. At the beginning of the pandemic, it was estimated that 37 percent of all jobs in the U.S. could be done entirely remote.

Remote Work Leads to Better Mental and Physical Health

Employees are looking for remote positions that come with flexibility as well as the security and benefits that come with traditional office-based jobs. According to the survey, the top three benefits employees want are healthcare, professional development, and coaching, coming in at 69%, 63%, and 54% respectively. While not included in this survey, another popular option among Millennials and Gen Z is student loan repayments. For employees looking for new jobs or changing careers, having the option to work remotely is a top priority. The majority of professionals surveyed emphasized that remote work options were incredibly important.